Tuesday, 23 July 2013

Do you have a favourite B-Side? Second Meeting Question.


23rd April 2013, The Oak and Pastor pub, Junction Road, Archway, London.

The second question asked was:
"Do you have a favourite B-Side?"
A b-side?!  Surely only people of a certain age and the flip over vinyl single experience could understand the concept?  The question was set by John after all!  There were of course tape singles and CDs.  I brought in a couple of old vinyls having gone through the attic to find my favourite, the first one that came to mind, lyrics below.

Adam  - 'It's Gonna Rain' Sonny and Cher (by Womak, Bobby/Carter, Darryl)
Chris   - As it is Album Club and not 'single' club Chris chose the best album b sides of Marvin Gaye - 'What's Going On?' and Kate Bush 'Aerial'.  Chris' favourite B side single would be 1963 b side to Blue Monday
John    - That Fantastic Life, b side of Lie Dream of A Casino Soul by the Mighty Fall - see John's B Side Blog Entry above
David  - Oh My Darlin' - Laurel and Hardy
Ali       -  Ali never had the opportunity to buy records/LPs so wasn't entirely sure what we were talking about!  His  favourite was a track on Mos Def’s single for Ms Fat Booty.  The track was called Mathematics and was added as a b-side on the single.  Great track.

Nick couldn't make this meeting I seem to remember?

Notes on B-Sides


'How Soon Is Now?' The Smiths
The song appeared on the "William, It Was Really Nothing" single and Hatful of Hollow and received a separate single release in 1985 in the United Kingdom and the United States. It reached No. 24 in the British charts, but failed to chart in the U.S. Morrissey and Marr lamented the lack of chart success of what they considered their strongest song thus far

'God Box' The Fall.
b side of 'Oh! Brother, 1984

'Sensoria' Cabaret Voltaire


Not a B Side - just like it

The Cure
I thought that “Charlotte Sometimes” was a b side for some years.  It is in fact a single released between Faith and Pornography.

The Beatles.
"We Can Work It Out" /"Day Tripper"
"Paperback Writer" /"Rain"

Double EP - does this count?
Side 1: "Magical Mystery Tour", "Your Mother Should Know"
Side 2: "I Am the Walrus"
Side 3: "The Fool on the Hill", "Flying"
Side 4: "Blue Jay Way"

Dub.
King Tubby's Meets Rockers Up-Town. The 1976 album of the same name is a compilation of B-sides produced by Augustus Pablo.

Didnt realise!
Man of the World, Peter Green and Fleetwood Mac was backed with the 'Someone's Going to Get Their Head Kicked in Tonight'!  Brilliant cover then by The Rezillos on 'I Cant Stand the REZILLOS'!



It's gonna rain

It's gonna rain outside
I can tell by the clouds
In the sky whoa, whoa
Uh-uh oh uh-uh

You used to come
And see me baby all the time
People see you walking down the street
They say you were mine
We use to love each other baby
Ah that's all
Well I can still remember
Your skin so soft

It's gonna rain outside
I can tell by the clouds
In the sky whoa, whoa
Uh-uh oh uh-uh

You would come and see me
Baby gave you all I had to give
Sometimes when you left me
I didn't know if I was gonna live
Used to watch the suns come up
And the moons go down
We used to take off our shoes
And stamp our feet in the ground
Oh yeah

Writer/s: WOMACK, BOBBY/CARTER, DARRYL


No comments:

Post a Comment